6 TBSP of Sea Moss Gel
1 cup unsweetened non dairy milk, I like cashew, soy milk or almond milk
1 tbsp white vinegar (could sub apple cider vinegar)
200 grams dark chocolate, broken up, I use 2 Great Value dark chocolate
- bars from Walmart (Canada) or the equivalent of dairy free chocolate chips
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp vanilla
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil plus 1 tbsp, I use grapeseed oil (not coconut oil)
2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, I use Demerara sugar
2 tsp instant coffee powder, reg or decaf ( espresso powder) 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt CHOCOLATE GANACHE ICING:
1 (400 ml) (14 fl oz) can coconut cream (not milk), I use Savoy brand from Walmart
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° Lightly grease 2- 9 inch round non stick cake pans. I also line my pans with parchment paper rounds and lightly grease them. In a small bowl add the plant milk and vinegar, this is your “Buttermilk mixture”, stir and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add the dry ingredients and stir to combine, set aside In a large mixing bowl add the chocolate pieces, and boiling water, let sit for a minute. Now add the cocoa powder and whisk it until smooth. Then add in the rest of “Wet Ingredients” including “Buttermilk mixture”, whisk it until it’s combined.
- Next add the dry ingredients and whisk until it’s smooth. Do not over mix. Pour the cake batter into your 2 prepared baking pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean or with a few crumbs. Cool the cakes in pans for 10-15 then remove cakes from pans and cool completely on racks before icing.
- Dairy free Chocolate ganache: Add chocolate pieces to a large DRY mixing bowl,
- Heat the coconut cream on the stove until hot, don’t let it simmer. Pour the cream over the chocolate mixture. Let it sit for a minute then add the cocoa and vanilla. Whisk it until smooth.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, whisking after 30 minutes. If the icing seems too soft after 1 hour leave it in the fridge and check every 15 minutes until you have a good consistency.
- Ice the cake: Once the cake is completely cool, frost the cake! Enjoy!